Tuesday, June 20, 2017

BOOKCASES FULL OF THE THIRD REICH


I’ve realized something in the re-publishing of my novel: I don’t want to spend time in Nazi Germany. Well, does anyone? But when you write a novel, you spend a whole lot of time in the world of your book.  I had been reading about the period for years. In those days, you had to do research from books and I had collected a large library of histories, biographies and picture books on the subject.  My bookcases were all red and black with swastikas dotted around like nasty butterflies.

Of course, I had made up my story so what happened to my characters was my doing. But, I remember sitting at my mammoth desk-top p.c. doing the last of the edits recommended by my agents before they started flogging it around.  I remember how relieved I was that I wouldn’t have to stay in the world much longer. I actually visualized myself swimming up a long dark tunnel towards the light.

Of course, once the novel was sold to St. Martin’s, I worked with their editor, but it was more technical. I could stay on the surface.  I even did a couple of readings and that was ok too, more like an acting exercise.

Then, oh, my, the house I was living in burned down in the 1991 Oakland Hills Firestorm.  The fire
actually happened on the day before my official publication date.  When my boyfriend at the time and I hurried through the house choosing what to take or leave, I had looked at my books.  I took my yearbooks and a couple of photo albums and my father’s Complete Works of Shakespeare.  All the rest, scores of books, were turned into ash.

Months later, an old friend wondered, half-joking, half-serious, if I had considered that maybe the fire had been attracted to all that nastiness caught between those red-and-black covers.  And he wondered if it was something of a relief to have lost all those books.

I just knew I was relieved I had given Sally a positive and hopefully safe future, which she truly deserved and neither of us had to go back to 1934.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOVELS ABOUT NAZIS: THE ODESSA FILE

I just read, or rather listened to Frederick Forsyth's memoir, THE OUTSIDER.  The man has had a fascinating life. After a stint in t...